Saturday, August 16, 2008

lakes drying up

I didn't have a lot of free time, so today I read about some lakes drying up.

Central Africa's Lake Chad is disappearing (KansasCity.com)

Extinction of another Iranian pond (Payvand/ISNA)

This weekend I want to finish up "Jazz" by Toni Morrison and maybe begin another novel. I have my eye on Naguib Mahfouz's "Palace Walk," Albert Memmi's "The Pillar of Salt," or the Iraqi novel I bought the other day, "The Last of the Angels" by Fadhil al-Azzawi. Meanwhile, on the non-fiction front, I'm currently making my way through "Muqtada." When I'm finished, I might give Islam a rest for a minute and pick up one of the books on my shelf about Hinduism or Zoroastrianism. This summer I've been reading everything I can about religion, especially Islamic history and politics; "No god but God" by Reza Aslan and "The Shia Revival" by Vali Nasr have been my favorites so far.

No comments: